Thursday, September 26, 2013

Back to School

The inferno has dropped to a crisp 95 degrees - fall is in the air! To enhance the illusion of coziness, I've taken to cranking up the A/C, snuggling up in a blanket, lighting some spiced pumpkin candles, and just taking in those glorious, gushing gums.


The first five weeks as a D-Dos have been excellent. This year prepares us to see patients in 8 months (terror). The pace is rigorous and challenging. I've learned so much in five short weeks. Kid falls down and shatters two front teeth? I can fix that! Have a gap that's staring you down? Look like Michael Strahan no more! Not thrilled with your smile and want veneers on all your front teeth? I can do that too.... in about 22 hours. (Now, these things are still pretty hard and time consuming for me,  so I have no choice but to charge extra for 'Frustration Fees.' Plan on at least $10,000 for each procedure.)

It hasn't been easy. In fact, I escaped to the Crying Room (oh, there IS such a thing) on the second day of lab because I was so upset. My brain could see what I needed to do and my hands just weren't responding. I felt that I was going to be a horrific dentist and would destroy smiles in all the land. When I returned to the lab, my bench instructor noticed shifted into life coach mode and refused to accept my request to dropout. I bucked up and kept on practicing. Rome was not built in one day!

Other life happenings that do not have a thesis:


I went tubing here before the Flood of a Lifetime hit and almost forced my parents to abandon town in an ark.


This beautiful girl married a wonderful boy. Her father-in-law tore it up on the dance floor. He's my new favorite person.

Feeling great about myself for starting a 30-day yoga challenge. It's day 17 and I have actually done the yoga on three of those days. Brava.

Ready to tackle my current stack of books: Crime and Punishment, Man's Search for Meaning, East of Eden, The Bluest Eye (particularly excited about this one), and as always, The Picture of Dorian Gray  and I, Claudius. I'm finishing up Return of the King... super bored with all this Minas Tirith business... let's just get to Mt. Doom already.

Andrea Bocelli is coming to Phoenix soon. Cheapest ticket is $135 for vertigo-inducing seats. Heartbreak.

My request to hang out with my classmate's wives and join in on the fun holiday crafts led to my invitation to their FB group. Presently there haven't been any crafts, but I can tell you who the best lactation experts are in town and how to clean a cloth diaper (It's easy. Don't. Litter box is definitely the best way to go.)

Life is happy. Smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment